Friday 23 January 2015

Pulp Tramp Steamer - The first coat of paint

Hi Folks

If you want to read from the beginning of this project head here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/pulp-tramp-steamer-full-speed-ahead.html

Well its been three days since my last post on the Pulp Steamer. Progress has been slow this week on account that I have been in Paris away on business and Eurostar doing their very best not to get me home.

Anyway I digress.

If you look at the picture of the tramp steamer below you will see that the hull is anything but flat, there are ridges running around the boat. I wanted to simulate these on my model. I also wanted to soften the edges of the top of the hull where it runs around the deck.


A simple solution was called for.

I merely edged the boat and created those raised bumps with cord and string. These were fixed where possible with glue and pins and then covered over with sticky address labels.

The pictures below show this in progress.



Adding the cord to the waist of the ship.


Using sticky labels to hold in place


Once complete I then wrapped masking tape around the whole hull. This reinforced the labels and gave the hull a new texture.




This exercise took about an hour to complete and to be frank cost nothing.



I then had to give the hull its first coat of paint. Black Matt Acrylic on the top and a deep red around the bottom. Its sitting heavy in the water. Still need to straighten this up but I hope you are getting the picture.

In the above picture you can see the first portholes added - fixed using superglue and then painted over top match the rest of the hull.



Next up I'll be finishing the deck and making a start on the superstructure...

Until next time

The next part can be found here


http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/pulp-tramp-steamer-decks-and-doors.html



10 comments:

  1. That's a great idea using the cord- bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress - wonderful ship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a master shipbuilder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just loving this, ingenious problem solving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The technique seems to bring out the 'battered coaster' look very well. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming along nicely now Captain Shed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoying this project! Keep up the good work! :-)

    ReplyDelete